China Shower Rubber Strip SupplierPlastic Extrusion Molding Edge Strip/Trim FactoryTable Plastic Furniture Edge Trim ManufacturersWholesale Plastic Corner Protectors SupplierWholesale PVC Extruded Data Strips SupplierWholesale Step Nosing Edge Trim Pricelist
Senior technical editor Mark Powers layers stock lumber and moldings to produce this classic architectural element. (See below for a shopping list and tools.)
Click here to SUBSCRIBE to the official This Old House YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=thisoldhouse
How to Replicate Molding Profiles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSLdrcvBU0c&index=191&list=PLkJADc1qDrr_0NxtmzECiOWkr5de82kXV
How to Choose Interior Molding: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtUltykXYKE&index=74&list=PLkJADc1qDrr_0NxtmzECiOWkr5de82kXV
How to Cut and Install Foam Crown Molding: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqjef8_ZW2E&index=385&list=PLkJADc1qDrr_0NxtmzECiOWkr5de82kXV
Shopping List for How to Install Wainscoting:
- Painter’s tape
- 1/4 inch plywood. Get enough to cover the entire area of your wainscoting with the grain running vertically.
- 1×4, for the stiles
- 1×5, for the corner stiles
- 1×6, for the bottom rail.
- 1×8, for the top rail and baseboard.
Get enough to cover each wall twice.
- Stool, for the chair-rail cap. Choose a profile deep enough to extend beyond the layered depth of the plywood, rail, and apron.
- Casing, for the apron
- Panel molding, to trim the panels
- Base-cap molding
- Shoe molding
- Panel adhesive
- 2 1/2-inch finishing nails, to install the stiles, rails, baseboard, apron, and chair rail
- 1 1/2-inch finishing nails, to install the panel, base cap, and shoe moldings
- Wood glue
- Wood filler
- Adhesive latex caulk. Choose primed boards and molding to save time.
Tools for How to Install Wainscoting:
- utility knife
- pry bar
- chalk line or straightedge to mark cuts on the plywood
- 4-foot level
- circular saw
- caulk gun
- stud finder
- nail gun
- miter saw
- flush-cut saw to back-cut existing moldings
- Speed Square
Follow This Old House: